Saturday, March 26, 2011

Everyone Should know about........ The Moringa Plant!!!!!

I was brought up to believe that the only thing worth doing was to add to the sum of accurate information in the world.

- Margaret Mead

Hi everyone,

So one of the great things about traveling and living in different parts of the world is the vast amount of information that is gathered and learnt. And one thing, I learnt in Nigeria was about the Moringa plant. This plant is hailed as the 'Miracle' plant. I can say so much about it and I will, but let me just give you some facts:

- 7 times the Vitamin C of Oranges

- 4 times the Vitamin A of Carrots

- 4 times the Calcium of Milk

- 3 times Potassium of Bananas

- 2 times the Protein of Yogurt.

Thats just in the leaves!!!!! And believe me the leaves are tiny!!!!!!

This plant is also great for

- skin (the paste of the leaves is used to beautify skin)

- balancing the cholesterol levels in the body

- it protects liver and kidneys

- it can be used as a water purifier

- it can be used with breast milk to feed babies. (or even added to formulas to feed babies)

- the leaves can be consumed to stimulate metabolism

- The flowers, gum, bark, roots, seeds and pods can all be used as medicine ( for burns, scars and sores as well as to combat malnutrition - Its commonly used in Africa for this very purpose).

- It can be used as Biogas

- Livestock fodder

- Plant growth enhancer

The Benefits are endless.

This plant is native to India however today in can be found in Africa, Central and South America, Sri Lanka, Mexico, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines. I know from personal experience that every single part of the plant can be used, from the pods, to seeds, to branches to the tiny leaves. It can also be used as food, like a vegetable (cook it as you would spinach or greens), you can drink it as a tea or even give it to livestock. It helps with nutrition (we experimented with chickens - my mom had chicken that weren't getting it on, so she gave them some Moringa (my mom had grinded the leaves into a spice like consistency) and lets just say, we had tons of little chicks around. Plus the chickens became fat and very healthy.

Now, I know most information state, that it can only grow in very hot or dry climate, well, I can tell you, thats hogwash. We have (not we - but my mom) had planted some indoors and they grew, as well as in wet, rainy areas they also grew. The reason most people state that it must grow outside is because, you have to trim the top of the Moringa once it reaches a certain height for it to grow much further. And boy does it shoot up.

Also, now its very common to get Moringa tea. I checked online and it can be bought. Moringa in a tea form is very important because it has 46 antioxidants and essential Amino acids are also found. All in All the Moringa plant is truly an amazing plant.

Therefore, I decided to have it as my first Everyone Should Know About post. So now you know. Get some Moringa!!!!!!!!!!

Now for myself : Since I have all this vast information about this plant and I have leaves, seeds and tea. I have decided to see what it can do for my hair. So over the next few weeks, I will use it for my hair and will come back and let you all know about it. I am thinking, I may use it together with my Henna application, so that I can get a deep treatment or maybe I will make a paste and add that to my oils and shea butter. Not to worry, what ever I do, I will let you in on it. Onto some pictures.

From just one leaf!!!!!!

Beautiful plant.
This is what one branch would look like. Everything can be used.
Moringa and cream cheese spread for crackers (in the back) and steamed Moringa Muffins.
Moringa Muffins (recipe coming soon).

Here are a few links to learn more:





So there you have it. Get some Moringa for yourself. I promise you, it will be the Best Present you can give to yourself.

Love, Blessings and Sharing of Knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comment!!!!!!!