Friday, October 14, 2011

Day 14 - Dream / Goal that came true

'Happiness is not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort'.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt


Good morning

So here is my dream or goal that came true for my day 14 challenge.

When I was in high school ( or before I got to high school) I used to write short stories and poetry and when I got to high school, my poems were published in an Anthology for South African Poetry. This was opened to everyone within SADC ( basically countries like Namibia, Angola, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Zambia, Lesotho, Swaziland, Mozambique and Botswana) Region. Anyways, I had 3 poems published within 3 different books.

Another dream I had....... was to be in a beauty contest. And well, I entered and placed in the top 10. Not bad huh. I didn't win. But I placed.

What else?

Worked in television - was a presenter for a children's programm for a number of years.
Worked in radio - presented a show once a week.
Worked as a freelance journalist - wrote articles for a youth newspaper.

Ohhh I met Nelson Mandela and Micheal Jackson. Ok, when I was writing for the youth paper, I was asked to cover a SADC meeting that was taking place (this was in the mid 90s). Here is what SADC stands for. Anyway, this conference would be about a week, and I got a press pass, so I could basically hang around the conferences, eat the free food and hang out in the press room with all the other journalists (see how I just push myself in there), most importantly miss maths, biology and physical education (I was doing important work).

Anyways, on one afternoon, I was invited to join the Ladies for lunch. When I say the Ladies, I mean all the Head of States wives and Queens or Princess. Which was totally cool. Those ladies fed me. Nothing like having women tell you you are too young to be so thin and heap the plate up., over and over. And since I was young, I could eat anything and not gain a pound. Ahhhhh that doesn't happen now, let me tell you. Moving on.....

Then on the last day of the Conference Mr Mandela was suppose to speak, so just as he was finishing up his speech, I made my way outside and waited in the lobby. Now, imagine this, young school girl, in school uniform during the day time when all other teenagers are at school and I am hanging around the lobby. So, Yep, Mr Mandela, did come up to speak to me. He just asked why I wasn't in school and I said, I was covering the Conference for a local Youth Paper, so I can give this conference a teenage perspective. We talked a bit more than he was off. I also got to meet and see other presidents like Robert Mugabe (Zimbabwe) and Dr Kenneth Kaunda (Zambia) as well as our own President. Do I have pictures? Nope. Why, because I kept moving from place to place and have lost half my stuff. But am sure if I were to dig through old achieves I would find something.

Same thing happened with Micheal Jackson. Met him on 2 separate occasions (also in the mid 90s when he came to Namibia), once at the airport and once in his hotel room. Some friends and I were had gotten permission to see him and take pictures. Still waiting on those pictures lol. Anyways, he was totally cool, seriously sweet and very friendly. Best bit, when he took our photo he had his hand round my left shoulder. I swear, I can still feel that hand.

Ohhhh other great things about having a Press Pass? I got to cover The Miss Universe Pageant that took place in Windhoek. So I got to meet the contestants and hang out with them, plus go backstage and see what was happening. This lead me to wanting to be in a beauty contest myself.

And during our annual trade fair show, I used my pass to do a taste/review on all the foods on offer at the fair. That's 7 days, all day, just eating. I could have used the pass for free rides and other stuff. But, I wasn't thinking like that!!!!!! I also got to go to free movie premiers and theater shows. Also, once I got to go backstage and hang out with South African musicians who were doing a show in Namibia. Also, I didn't have a problem getting into clubs and discos. Wasn't a bad life ne?!!!!!!!

Joy, Love and a Pass

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comment!!!!!!!