Thursday, April 28, 2011

Ever in London........ stop at Surrey Docks farm

'It is only the farmer who faithfully plants seeds in the Spring, who reaps a harvest in the Autumn'
- BC Forbes

Thats right, in London is a farm!!!!!! With pigs, sheep, goats, chicken and donkeys, vegetable plots,bees, an orchard, herb garden not to mention much much more. Surrey Docks Farm is a great place for the whole family to learn about farming, food production, workshops and animal care etc. It even has a fabulous cafe where you get great British meals ------ Sunday roasts, cakes, coffee's and home made ice creams!!!!!!! The farm relies on public donations as well as volunteers and the goodwill of local residents.

I had the opportunity to visit the farm, since its very close to where I was staying and I was very impressed to say the least. Firstly, what drew me to the place was the little kids helping out, screaming and running around (y'all know I taught kindergarten/ first grade right?) so any fun quirky place to take small children as well as educate them is always a place for me to visit. Hence why I like zoo's, parks, gardens, basically any fun educational experiences. But, I am getting off topic.

What makes this place super, is that it works with the community to make it a working farm, as well as sells farm produced meat, honey, plants as well as produce. Not only that, but this place holds workshops, training projects, Arts and crafts projects, a variety of music lessons is also taught, Yoga and Meditation is also offered, there is a classroom for school trips available. Best of all, for people interested in Horticulture but don't have green thumbs (like yours truly) or persons who don't have gardens to try their hand there and help out.

All in all, this is a wonderful place to visit and see. And make nice with the piggies and the pony!!!!!!! and Ducks.

Surrey Docks Farm
South Wharf
309.5 Rotherhithe Street
London SE16 5 ET

Please note: If you would like to visit the Farm please check the website for visiting times. Also if in the area check the link for activities and anything of interest. I am sure you will never be at a loss of something to do.

Also, I am not affiliated with the Farm - I just find it very interesting, informative and a great concept and if just one person goes there because of me, then I have done my part in sharing. I love a community based project that educates and helps each other and that is also a great place for kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comment!!!!!!!