Friday, July 15, 2011

Coconut Oil benefits

'There is sweet water inside a tender coconut. Who poured the water inside the coconut? Was it the work of any man? No. Only the Divine can do such a thing'.
- Sri Sathya Sai Baba

Good morning everyone,

Coconut oil, we all use it (or we should) in our hair mixtures, our body lotions and butters but do we know the benefits of it? well, I got my learning on and this is what I have found out about the wonders of Coconut oil. The health benefits include:

- hair care ( great for overall health and growth of the hair)
- skin care ( soft, smooth, wonderful for pregnant women to prevent stretchmarks as well as scars)
- maintaining cholesterol levels
- weight loss ( its a very good oil to use to cook and bake with)
- increased immunity
- proper digestion & metabolism
and a whole lot more.

In traditional medicine coconut oil is used for treating:

- asthma
- baldness
- bronchitis
- bruises
- burns
- colds
- constipation
- coughs
- nausea
- rash
- toothache
- upset stomach
- irregular or painful menstruation
- control dandruff
And many many many other ailments.


The coconut provides a nutritious source of meat, milk, juice and oil. On many islands around the world coconut is a staple food and provides the majority of food consumed. Its highly nutritious and rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals. Its also said to be 'the healthiest oil on earth'. Coconut oil is extracted from copra (which is the dried meat of the coconut).

Cooking with this oil is good because although its a saturated fat it comes from plants and not animals which is a good thing. Its also said to lower cholesterol but give more energy.
So how do I use mine?
Well, I started using it way back in January just to oil my scalp and give me hair some shine. But now, within the last few weeks, I have started using it in my skin care regime. I recently made my own Body Butter (and since that is finished - I will make another one and do a post about it). I also use coconut oil in my daily water spritz - water, glycerin, jojoba oil, aloe vera and coconut oil.

What I can tell you its been an amazing oil to use all over. My hair looks and feels good. My skin is smooth, silky and constantly glowing. I will say this, I use Coconut Oil, Aloe Vera, Argan oil, Jojoba oil,Vitamin E oil, Shea butter and Glycerin in everything - Hair and Skin. So I can't pin-point which product is working the best where, as I use them all and am maximizing the benefits from all of the above mentioned products.

Let me put it another way, if I were told I could only have one bottle to take where ever I was going, I would quickly mix them ALL and take the bottle. Not one is better or less than in my book.

Disclaimer: I am no expert, please please please do your own research before embarking on a natural journey. I read, learn, ask and test everything on myself before putting up a post. So I only know how it works for me. And what works for me, may or may not Work for you. This is all new to me and its a process and a journey.

Peace, Blessings and Light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comment!!!!!!!