Monday, February 27, 2012

First Market Haul in New Delhi.

'Shopping is a woman thing. It's a contact sport like football. Women enjoy the scrimmage, the noisy crowds, the danger of being trampled to death and the ecstasy of the purchase'.
- Erma Bombeck

Hiya

Please note, I am still trying to upload pictures, still getting Error messages ;-(

So I just came back from the market and boy was it an experience!!!! A lovely experience. I love shopping in markets, seriously I do. They are so different from shopping malls - the people, the culture of shopping, bargaining, the smells, the loud sounds, people walking up to me to sell me random stuff I don't need like watches, belts, feather dusters and wallets. As soon as I figure out how to post Videos on here, will shoot a quick something for you guys to get an idea of what I talking about.

Anyways, I went with someone local and he was totally cool, he took me around explained about the different sections of the market and sorted out prices in the local dialect. I couldn't really complain about the prices because Firstly I had a budget of 1000 INR (Rupees) which is about $21 or,£13, in Swedish Krona its 134 SEK and in Namibian Dollars 154 NAD, Secondly I really was in need of new stuff. I came away with 5 harem pants, 2 skirts, 8 scarves, 2 tunics, 3 Kurtas (traditional attire), 3 blouses and one long summer dress. Not bad at all. All I need now are shoes, bags and accessories, but that's for another day - I still have change left over.

Ohhhhh, last night I went to the local 'expensive' supermarket and came away with some conditioners and Indian hair products that I am used to - Amla oil, Jasmine hair oil, Vatika oil and coconut oil with herbs. All that is needed is Henna Powder, Amla Powder, Indigo Powder, pure coconut oil and a few other stuff.

I keep having to remind myself that I only landed here on Friday and I still have 6 full months to go, so everything doesnt have to be bought right away lol!!!!!! That's also another reason why I haven't done a full tour yet. See my courses are Monday to Friday and I really want the weekends to go exploring. I don't want to do everything just yet, need to space stuff out and get an idea of my new home.



Blessings, Joy and Rupees

2 comments:

  1. You came away with quite a bit.
    Glad though that you got the chance to go around and familiarize yourself with your new surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I told my mom and she was like wow, you still got cash left and I said, I hadn't made a dent yet!!!!!! Actually, I really needed to get around since my course starts on the 1 of March and I didn't want to get lost. I like to be prepared ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for your comment!!!!!!!